Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron
In Slocum's Wake Sailing is based out of the Royal Nova Scotia Yacht Squadron (RNSYS). The RNSYS is primarily a sailing club whose main goal is to encourage and enhance the sport of sailing within their membership and community. RNSYS is home to close to 900 members from Canada, the United States, and international regions.
The Squadron's beginnings date back to July 1837. The first clubhouse was built in 1860, the same year the then Prince of Wales, later King Edward VII visited Halifax. A keen yachtsman himself, he presented the club with their most treasured trophy, the Prince of Wales Cup. The Prince of Wales later added his name to the application to Queen Victoria to use the prefix “Royal” to the club’s name. This was approved one year later and they became the Royal Halifax Yacht Club.
The club underwent a great deal of upheaval and change between the years 1875 and 1922 when the RHYC became the present RNSYS, and relocated it’s clubhouse to the breakwater of Halifax Harbour. The RNSYS moved again to make way for the new container terminal in 1966, and relocated to the present property on the Northwest Arm which farseeing leaders of the Squadron had acquired some years earlier.
Throughout the years, the RNSYS has been involved in significant achievements. With the Boston Yacht Club they sponsor the biennial Marblehead to Halifax Ocean Race, first sailed in 1939. It is also the club-of-record for the “True North” America’s Cup challenge in 1984, and for “Canada II” in 1987. Their members continue to achieve distinction in national and international competition.
Meals are available onsite during all shorebased courses and as opportunity allows for practical courses.